Week of January 14 – January 18, 2019
Hello Sachems! I hope you had a great weekend! These next two weeks is a very important time in our year. It will mark the mid-point of our year and the conclusion of the first semester classes. I love this time of year! It allows for the celebration of hard-work and dedication to your studies. However, it also allows for reflection in areas of our studies that we struggled or were challenged beyond compare. Please take some time this week to review your performance this semester…and chart your course of action as we prepare to begin a new semester on January 30, 2019. I wish you the very best as you being the very important review work in your classes. Be sure to engage in all review sessions, organize your notes and materials, and believe that you will FinishSTRONG. We have a very busy week ahead…so, let’s go!
- Sachem Shout-Out:
- Congratulations to the members of the Student Council who represented our school at the SEMASC Winter Conference, which was held at Attleborough High School on Thursday of last week. The conference was awesome. Job well done!
- Congratulations to the Girls Gymnastics team for their first win of the season. Job well done.
- A HUGE Congratulations to the three Unified Bocce Teams that participated in the MASC Unified Bocce Tournament with Special Olympics of Massachusetts. The delegation from Middleborough rocked the tournament. So proud of our athletes, our partners and the very spirited fans in the stands! We Choose to Include at MHS!
- Thank you to the large number of MHS Students who participated in the AP Saturday Session for Math this past Saturday at MHS. We hosted over 500 students from around the region at this event. Our AP Math Students were awesome. Thank you for representing our school.
- Congratulations to Devon Avilla, Joe Escolas, Sydney Montross and Josh Young for being named a John and Abigail Adams Scholar for the Class of 2019. We are proud of you!
- Congratulations to Johnnie Harris for being named the ACTR Russian Scholar Laureate for 2018! We are so proud of you, Johnnie!!
- Congratulations to all of the Winter Athletes for their incredible commitment to the Black and Orange. It has been awesome watching your play each week! Remain SachemSTRONG!
- Final Exams – Monday, January 28 & Tuesday, January 29
- Just a reminder that our final examination days are quickly approaching and will here before you know it.
- Final Exams will be held on Monday, January 28 (Full Day) and Tuesday, January 29 (Half Day)
- Please be sure you begin your examination preparation so you are ready for these important benchmark exams.
- Biology MCAS - February 6 & 7, 2019
- Just a reminder to our freshmen who took Biology first semester that you will be sitting for the Biology MCAS Test on Wednesday and Thursday, February 6 & 7, 2019. Mr. Dizel will be sending out information to each of you regarding your testing location over the next few weeks along with other important reminders about this very important test. Students who are beginning Biology next semester and those in the year-long Biology class will sit for their Biology MCAS in June.
- Scheduling - 2019 - 2020
- Just a reminder to all students in the Classes of 2020, 2021 and 2022, that the scheduling process for next year has officially begun. Please be sure to log into Aspen to begin selecting the courses that you are looking to take next year. Also, please know that your guidance counselors will be meeting with each of your over the next few weeks during your PE Classes to help with your scheduling needs.
- On Thursday, January 17, 2019, you will receive all of the materials needed to begin the online scheduling process during a special advisory being held that day. The online portal in Aspen will open to begin selecting your courses on Friday, January 18, 2019.
- Please be sure to know that the portal for scheduling will officially close on Friday, February 1, 2019.
- Program of Studies Night will be held on Wednesday, January 23, 2019 at 6:30pm in the Main Lobby of the high school. Come and learn about the programs and offerings for the upcoming year.
- Please contact your guidance counselor with any questions!
- Final Exam Cocoa Cram – Wednesday, January 23
- The National Honor Society will be hosting their annual Final Exam Cocoa Cram. Come study and prepare for your exams with members of the NHS to help get you ready for your exams. The event will be held in the MHS Library on Wednesday, January 23, 2019 from 2:00 – 3:30pm. You do not want to miss this event.
- Winter Meltdown is Coming – January 28 – February 15
- The Student Council and Club US is working hard to ensure that our energy and school spirit is high as we approach February vacation. Winter Meltdown is coming! Get ready for a GREAT few weeks of spirit and Sachem Pride. Be on the look-out for the numerous opportunities and events to bring our school together.
- The Annual Winter Ball, which will be held on Saturday, February 2, 2019 from 7:00 – 10:00pm in the MHS Gym. Tickets will go on sale beginning January 21, 2019 for $10.00.
- Guest permission slips will be available next week from the main office.
7. Music Department Presents – Thoroughly Modern Millie:
· The MHS Music Department is in their final weeks for preparing for the annual musical that will take place on January 18 – 20, 2019.
· Best of luck to the cast and crew for a very successful tech week!
· Show Times:
o Friday, January 18 – 7:00pm
o Saturday, January 19 – 7:00pm
o Sunday, January 20 – 7:00pm
§ The cost to attend is $10.00 Adult/$7.00 Student
8. Student Council Update:
· Full Council Meeting – Wednesday, January 16 – 7:00pm – Cafeteria
9. Professional Development Day – Friday, January 18, 2019
· Just a reminder that the next Professional Development Day for the MHS Faculty and Staff will take place on Friday, January 18, 2019. Friday will be an early dismissal, with a release time of 11:30am on Friday.
10. Anime Club Meeting – Tuesday, January 15, 2019
· The next meeting of the Anime Club will be held on Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at 2:00pm in Room 213. Please see Mr. Coutinho with any questions.
11. Home Winter Games of the Week:
- Monday, January 14
i. Boys/Girls Track Vs. Abington – Varsity – 6:00pm – Reggie Lewis Center
- Tuesday, January 15
i. Girls Basketball Vs. Abington – JV – 5:00pm – MHS Gym
ii. Girls Basketball Vs. Abington – Varsity – 6:30pm – MHS Gym
iii. Swimming Vs. Cohasset – Varsity – 4:00pm – Burkland Pool
- Wednesday, January 16
i. Wrestling Vs. Cohasset – Varsity – 7:00pm – MHS Gym
- Thursday, January 17
i. No Home Events
- Friday, January 18
i. Girls Basketball Vs. Hull – JV – 5:00pm – MHS Gym
ii. Girls Basketball Vs. Hull – Varsity – 6:30pm – MHS Gym
- Saturday, January 19
i. Ice Hockey Vs. East Bridgewater – Varsity – 12:30pm – Bridgewater Ice Arena
- Best of luck all of our teams this week with our many away games and meets!
Have a great week and be good to each other!
We Are Sachems!
Final Exam Schedule –
January 28 & 29, 2019
Block 1 & 2 Exams – Monday, January 28, 2019
· Full Day of School
· Dismissal at 1:50pm
Block 3 & 4 Exams – Tuesday, January 29, 2019
· Half-Day of School (High School ONLY)
· Dismissal at 11:00am